This is probably one of the easiest recipes to make when you’re just sitting there staring at your chicken breasts wondering what the hell you’re going to do tonight. We use Applegate farms Nitrate/Antibiotic/Hormone-Free sliced ham that we can find in our deli at Target. But Hormel has been making a “free” version too that I’ve seen in most supermarkets.
I also use mayo as my go-to coating for many recipes. For me, it’s better than just eggs because I like the flavor the mayo lends without having to add a ton of stuff to the coating – the slight tang of the vinegar and you never need to add salt. That being said, feel free to use a plain egg wash.
I also used crushed pork rinds for the coating. If you would have told me six months ago that I’d be routinely using pork rinds in my cooking I would have laughed dead in your face. But, there it is. They work great as a binder, they’re all natural, and they crisp up delightfully in the oven making an excellent coating for this recipe.
Oven Crispy Chicken Cordon Bleu
What you need:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli-sliced ham
- 2 cups crushed pork rinds
- 2 tbsp mayo or egg wash
What you do:
- Set up a little assembly line. Realize that anything not used will have to be trash since your raw-chickened hands will touch it so only put out as much as you need and put the rest away.
- Using a kitchen mallet, pound the chicken until it’s 1/2-inch thick
- Layer the swiss cheese and ham on the chicken and roll up tightly. The tighter you get it, the less chance you have of your swiss cheese leaking out.
- Hold in place with toothpicks.
- Coat in mayo and roll in crushed pork rinds.
- Put in baking dish and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165.
- Slice and enjoy. I like to dip mine in dijon mustard!