What I love most about chicken is that it’s such a blank canvas. You really can do anything with it. I had a few breasts defrosting for dinner with no inspiration whatsoever. Until I went into the pantry for a handful of walnuts for an afternoon snack and saw a forgotten bag of shelled pistachios I had picked up for a recipe many moons ago. Somehow, they were still good so I decide to make a crusted baked chicken and some amazing stone ground mustard we had in the fridge.
I mixed the mustard directly with the beaten egg and used that as the “glue” for the pistachio crust. Please note that I do not recommend using salted pistachios as I think it would overpower the other flavors. I used my Vitamix on Variable 5 for a few seconds to get the pistachios to crush up to the right size: small, but not powder. You could use a food processor or a mallet.
Pistachio Crusted Baked Chicken
What you need:
- 2-3 large chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1 c. unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese (omit if dairy-free)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
What you do:
- Pound the chicken breasts till they’re about 3/4-1 inch thick.
- In a bowl beat the eggs and stir in the stone ground mustard.
- On a plate, mix the crushed pistachios, garlic & onion powder, Parmesan cheese and salt until well blended.
- Dip the chicken breast in the egg mixture than coat with the pistachio crust.
- Repeat on each side.
- Lie chicken on roasting rack. This crust will get soggy if you allow it to cook in it the chicken juices.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- The chicken will be moist in the middle with a thick crunchy crust.