I have this recipe for The Best Grain-Free Gluten-Free Paleo Bread (In the history of man) that I posted almost two years ago that has almost 200 comments, of which almost all are people testifying that the bread was awesome and they loved it and it changed their wee grain-free lives.
So I don’t take it lightly when I call these the Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies (In this history of man). Maybe it’s the new house or the fall weather, but I was struck this week by The Recipe Creation Bug. I spent this week making a few different dishes, all of which will be posted within the next week or so: Lemongrass Thai Stir-Fry, Pumpkin Cherry Muffins, Harvest Chicken Apple Stew.
But these somehow came together with the perfect amount of salt and sweet, it’s honestly hard to tell that this isn’t a “regular” cookie and as soon Mike figured out a way for me to get my pics off the camera (still haven’t found my memory card), I thought you guys NEEDED to have this.
It’s chewy. And crunchy. And sweet. And a little salty. And unicorns come of the cookie and lick your face and leave rainbow saliva. For realz, yo.
I used the What’s For Dinner recipe builder app on my Xyboard from Verizon Wireless to mark down my measurements. It’s so helpful to have around the kitchen and it takes some pretty awesome pics!
Honestly, the recipe is simple and fast and most Real Food Peeps have these ingredients in the house already and can whip these up in 20 minutes. If you want flat cookies, like in the picture, at about 8 minutes of cooking time, you’ll need to open the oven and flatten them with a spatula. Paleo cookies don’t spread and round out like normal cookies. The other option is to roll the dough into a log, chill, and slice into rounds.
I did throw in 2 tbsp of tapioca starch because I wanted to make sure the cookies were chewy and not crumbly. This ingredient isn’t necessary to make the actual cookie but you will need it for this particular texture (chewy and AMAZING). Also, make sure the bacon is cooked crispy, then cooled fully, then diced into tiny little bacon pieces of magic.
Recipe: Paleo Maple Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1.5 c. almond flour, sifted (I use Honeyville Farms)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch (arrowroot would work too)
- 1/2 tsp. maple extract/flavoring
- 1/4 c. honey (or split it 1/8 c. honey and 1/8 c. natural maple syrup)
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp. melted grass-fed butter (ghee or coconut oil will work)
- 1/3 c. dark chocolate chips (I use 70% Ghirardelli)
- 5 strips bacon, cooked, cooled, and diced
- Mix almond flour, tapioca starch, and baking soda in one bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg white and slowly add melted butter and then maple flavoring.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
- Add chopped bacon and chocolate chips last.
- Using two spoons to avoid having the mixture stick to your fingers, scoop the batter into approximately 12 cookies on parchment paper (yes, this makes a huge difference).
- Bake at 300 for 12-13 minutes depending on the size you made your cookie.
- If you care about how your cookies look, at 8 minutes in, open oven and using a spatula, flatten cookies and cook the additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool completely for maximum deliciousness.
- Write me a love letter.