A cool thing that happened last week… one of the toughest guys I work out with turned 64. He whoops my ass daily and I love our WODs. I decided to make him cupcakes but since we’re all CFers, of course I had to make them as paleo as possible.
Of course, the end result of the Paleo cupcake was “ruined” when I topped it with a homemade Nutella frosting and sprinkles.
But hey, a birthday cupcake isn’t the same without sprinkles. I figured people could scrape it off if they didn’t want it. Huge surprise, no one did such a travesty.
I really don’t know how I came up with these other than I wanted something different for such a cool guy, so I asked him what he liked and what he was allergic to and apparently, as long as I didn’t make penicillin cupcakes I was good to go. His wife has recently lost a million pounds on Paleo and looks amazing so I like creating stuff that he can try and go home and tell her so she can still enjoy the occasional treat too!
Recipe: Paleo Amaretto Cranberry Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes
- 3 1/4 c. almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c. honey
- 3/4 c. coconut oil, melted but not hot
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 c. dried cranberries
- 1/2 c. roughly chopped 70% dark chocolate, small (or mini chips)
- In one bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, honey, vanilla and almond extract.
- Slowly drizzle in the coconut oil as you’re beating the mixture. This prevents the coconut oil from cooking the eggs.
- Add in dry ingredients, cranberries, and chopped chocolate.
- Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes, depending on oven and size. Just keep an eye on them till their brown on edges and pass the toothpick test.
- Makes 12 cupcakes